Call for Applications: Gallery Technicians
The Digital Arts Resource Centre (DARC), Ottawa, is looking to hire contract Gallery Technicians for the Knot Project Space, our exhibition venue. The space is uniquely configured to present installations, screenings and performances by contemporary artists working within the field of media art and the moving image.
DARC is looking for technicians with a well rounded technician history, who have the experience and skills necessary to perform all listed duties effectively. However, we will also consider applicants who provide a specific expertise with audio/visual equipment installation, and who can quickly learn other required skills on the job. Gallery technicians will be hired on an annual retainer.
- Facilitates the installation and deinstallation of multimedia exhibitions;
- Provides projector maintenance, calibration and mounting;
- Provides expertise on lighting grids/design and DMX based systems; works closely with grid and grid equipment;
- Installs and hangs sculptural elements from grids or affixing to walls;
- Installs speakers, PA system, televisions and or other AV equipment for presentation; troubleshoots related presentation equipment as required;
- Works with Mac based systems, facilitating playback of audio/video with mac based applications and troubleshooting Macs as required;
- Provides painting of Knot Project Space walls and maintenance as required for specific programs;
- Works with the Curator and other programming staff as required on the coordination of installation and deinstallation of multimedia exhibitions in Knot Project Space and other public programming venues;
- Constructs crates, exhibition plinths, shelves, walls or other structures as required;
- Installs labels, didactic panels and signage for exhibitions and other programs;
- Advises curators and artists regarding effective installation, lighting, and projection strategies;
- Responsible for safe storage of any crates, plinths, display materials and any other presentation structures;
- Sets up and tears down event spaces for Knot Project Space receptions and public programs, including audio/visual and other technical elements;
- Performs daily maintenance of exhibitions, ensuring that all equipment is functional, lighting and sound levels well calibrated, and the venue remains clean, safe, and welcoming to visitors;
- Flexible and open to working irregular hours, especially in preparation for and during openings of exhibitions, events, and programs.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a PDF of your CV with two references from other gallery or presentation spaces by email to Jenna Spencer, Chief of Staff, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We strongly encourage BIPOC, queer, trans, and nonbinary applicants to apply. Deadline for applications is November 28th, 2021.